Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Re: Trying to understand Consumer Reports / Toyota Camry

Some not quite random thoughts ...

In a typical week, I drive about 300 miles. Of this, 40 is a round trip to the observatory, which is mostly 315 and US 23. The rest is largely on and around town. 

Toyota offers an 8 year 100,000 mile warranty on all the hybrid parts.could mean needing a bunch of battery replacement a couple years after that, but there's no telling what battery technology or cars will be like in 2020 and beyond. Fuel cost estimates suggest savings of $500 per year at current gas prices. If I take Jerry's advice to replace a car every 10 years, a ten year battery life is not an issue if I get the value I expect out of it. 

Even if none of this were true, I find value in being environmentally conscious. Janna likes the acceleration and comfort of the V6, but I don't see a difference I care about.

I looked at a new Accord. The dashboard was so filled with stuff it looked like an airplane cockpit. I dropped it from my short list as a result.

Janna hates the look of the Prius. For me, it is slightly reminiscent of a Gremlin, which always got strong opinions in both directions. For the moment, it is still on the list but seems unlikely.

We are also looking at the Subaru Legacy. I'm not sure it makes sense if 4 wheel drive isn't important. 

The best thing a car could do is offer enough control to avoid a serious problem. Failing that, it should do what it can to protect the driver and passengers. I'm not sure any car would have allowed me to avoid last week's accident, but the Saturn certainly met the second criterion. 

Jay Elkes


On Feb 14, 2012, at 12:23 PM, elk912@aol.com wrote:

I have, since you entered the market. 

On the Toyotas, I believe your assessment on CR is correct on the V6. Higher purchase price and lower fuel efficiency, but with zippier performance. Compared to a 4 cylinder, lower purchase price and more efficient fuel mileage. 

With the TV newscasts trying to inform the public of $5 a gallon gas this year, the 4 cylinder appears more favorable. If you are doing a LOT of driving, especially highway, the 4 cylinder may be the way to go. If you only do occasional long highway trips, I would not rule out the V6. 

My thoughts on hybrids. The hybrid usually has a higher purchase price (I have not checked this in awhile). 

Hybrids are most effective in DAILY stop and go traffic. For non-hybrids this is where mpg suffers, gasoline engines burning fuel and the vehicle is NOT moving. My truck's computer fuel tracking painfully shows this--my mpg suffers when I stop. It is amazing to see this drop. 

I have heard Toyota has a secret warranty that batteries will last 10 years. Batteries are EXPENSIVE to replace for there are a lot of them. With you being a retiree, I just do not see the daily commute as part of your regular driving routine to justify a hybrid purchase, unless you want the "Zippy" performance. A hybrid over 4 cylinder car should accelerate better. Electric motors are 100% torque throughout it's RPM range would give the hybrid an edge there. Sort of follows this automotive rule: increased performance = increased $. 

I think you may like the V6, but if you are going to do frequent highway trips, like to Nebraska and back (my niece Ashley now lives there), the 4 cylinder should be considered. I would do a spreadsheet with a range of fuel prices to mpg ranges to the miles you think you may do for the year; and over the life of expected ownership.

I hope the insight is helpful.

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Jay Elkes <jayelkes@gmail.com>
To: Scott Elkes <elk912@aol.com>
Sent: Tue, Feb 14, 2012 8:20 am
Subject: Trying to understand Consumer Reports / Toyota Camry

Thanks again for providing access to CR. I used it to dig out details for the 3  versions of Toyota Camry.   4 cyl     88.  Recommended Hybrid  93.  Recommended V6.       92.    Of the 3 models, the V6 is the only one that is not marked as recommended, even  though it has a higher overall score than the 4 cyl. The only guess I have is it  doesn't meet some value test (price, cost to run, etc.). Do you have any  thoughts?   Jay  

No comments:

Post a Comment